The introduction of Smart Grid into the medium voltage distribution grid for automation and supervision purposes has made necessary to develop new solutions to address the evolving requirements of the grid. ZIVAutomation has, among its solutions, a reliable Intelligent Control System for Ring Main Units. It provides new services and value added functions which will enable a better grid operation, and more efficient business management. The applications targeted by the Intelligent Control System, can be split into 2 groups:
- Supervision and monitoring solution with directional fault detection and indication for MV networks.
- Complete solution to MV grid automation.
- Local and remote control.
- Directional fault detection and indication.
- Reduction of response time to faults, thus improving customer services.
- Power supply/battery management, monitoring.
- Power quality measurements and supervision.
- Secondary substation alarm monitoring.
- Communication protocols: IEC 104 S, DNP3.0 (M/S), DNP 3.0 IP(M/S), Modbus (M/S), others.
- Secure communication.
- Web, WS and Workbench configuration .
- Improve the management of distribution facilities.
- Improve the reliability and availability of the network.
- Increase the capacity and energy efficiency of the grid.
- Fast and accurate fault location in medium voltage grids.
- A total view of the grid.
- Improve the IEEE reliability index: SAIFI and SAIDI.
- Quick and trouble free installation.
- Modular solutions adapted to the different Ring Main Unit schemes and manufacturers.
- Fully tested, configured and assembled in factory.
Automation solution cabinets for WPD Soft Intertripping System (SIS).
The purpose of the SIS is to provide both Remote (from SCADA) and Automatic (Local) control of a Generating Unit depending on the voltage conditions of the MV Network, monitored by a centralised system. CG’s automation solution for SIS consists of smart cabinet containing a USP 2.0 RTU and a BCC battery charger.
ZIV provides project management and in situ supervision that allows the maximum resource efficiency, fast problem resolution, performance optimization as well as effective support for the utility’s operating team. CG works with a team of expert engineers that offer solutions to all the requirements during commissioning, as well as technical assistance during the warranty period. Our qualified technicians know the specific requirements for each product and application. They will share technical knowledge with the staff through training courses.
The exponential increase in the adoption of Distributed Energy Generation such as Photovoltaic (PV) and Wind has introduced significant challenges for DNOs when it comes to the control of network voltages and power flows at all voltage levels on their network. At times and when network conditions dictate, Generators are constrained. This results in inefficiencies in operation as well as lost generation.
The Genesis family of Generation Management Controllers have been developed by ZIV Automation in response to industry demand for the intelligent management and control of Distributed Generation.
Genesis Controllers provide localised independent control of Distributed Generators in response to real time changes both at a local site level and to the network. The Generation controller provides a greater degree of control over both the constraint level and constraint type applied to a particular generator. It also allows for the Distributed Generator to operate in a number of alternative modes assisting the DNO to optimise the management of their network.
Genesis Generation Management Controllers from ZIV Automation allow the DNO to help optimise their network usage whilst assisting Distributed Generators to Maximise their Generation Capacity.
The Controllers can be totally standalone or easily integrated into an Active Network Management System. The Genesis Family of Controllers are modular compact Controllers providing a very cost effective solution for localised control of Distributed Generators.
An Advance Network Management System to Integrate Distributed Generation in ESB (Ireland)
To provide a control system that:
- allows control of windfarms export by the utilities to provide the necessary voltage support whilst respecting the networks voltage and thermal constraints.
- to monitor analogue and digital values from specific points, and make decisions on the network to determine if the connected distributed generation power stations are allowed to generate at full capacity or to be constrained
- To provide an ANM schemes, based on communications if required, with centralized or distributed architectures, to manage the power flow on the network.
The case: Cauteen 110Kv substation
- Four substations connected together with a distributed ANM system to control the amount of the VAR exported parallel into the TSO (EIRGRID) as well as the DNO (ESB) systems.
- Power flow control systems in more than 200 points in NPG (Northern power Grid) and WPD (West Power Districts )in the UK. Several locations were the power flow in Wind and Solar farms are connected to these two DNO systems.
The described system has allowed our client ESB (Ireland) to accelerate the integration of Distributed Generation sites onto their distribution network whilst managing the impact that this additional generation has on network operations.